Below are some useful links for parents to access to help keep children safe when using the internet.
- Included in this is the Internet reposting button, which is used on many websites and is directly linked to a police unit who will investigate any reports.
- www.getsafeonline.org provides information to keep you safe in all areas online.
- www.commonsensemedia.org – Reviews of websites, games etc.
- www.easywhois.com – Look up where web addresses come from.
- www.netlingo.com –The Internet Dictionary.
Parental Controls / Filtering
Use parental controls/filtering (either pre-installed, free or purchased) where possible e.g.
- Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/parentalcontrols
- Windows Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/what-can-i-control-withparental-controls
- Windows XP: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/products/windows?os=windows-10
- Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2900
General – Parental controls
• Remember to put Parental Controls on Games consoles and mobile phones (Contact your
provider or visit company websites for guidance on how to do this).
• Use Hector Protector’s Safety button for young children to get them used to seeking help:
There are a couple of useful publications about keeping your children safe, i.e. Keeping Children Safe in Education and Working together to Safeguard Children.
Links to these publications are below:
Companies & Gaming
http://safely.yahoo.com/ Yahoo Safety Tips
www.microsoft.com/protect/default.mspx Microsoft Safety
www.vodaphone.com/parents – Excellent guide for parents on digital technologies (includes
information about controls for blackberry and facebook).
www.askaboutgames.com – Advice on computer gaming and how to apply parental controls.
www.getgamesmart.com – Advice from Microsoft on gaming.
Try these websites as an alternative search engine:
• www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/find – excellent child friendly search engine
• http://www.kidrex.org/ linked to google