Welcome to Year Two
(Teacher in 2EH)
(Teacher in 2SB/LP)
(Teacher in 2SB/LP)
SPRING TOPIC PROJECT
Our new topic is called The Jungle Book. We will be learning about contrasting environments and how cultures differ around the world.
Marco Polo is our historical figure and the children will learn all about his life and his travels.
TOPICS THIS TERM
Science: Plants and Animals
R.E.: Commitment to a religion & The Easter Story
P.E.: Dance & Games
Topic: The Jungle Book
Just a reminder that P.E. and Games are on a Thursday and Friday. Please ensure that your child wears their P.E. kit to school on these days, including appropriate footwear. Please ensure earrings are removed for safety reasons and remember to name your child’s kit.
Thank you for your support with homework last term. Please continue using Times Tables Rockstars and complete the weekly homework. It is most beneficial to your child that they read daily at home. Please record this in your child’s reading diary so that they receive the relevant rewards.
To help your child in Year 2...
• Continue to read with your child, particularly focusing on your child’s understanding of the text – remember to ask lots of questions about their reading.
• Look for opportunities to discuss numbers within the environment, simple addition problems while you’re at the supermarket etc.
• Play simple spelling games like hangman, eye-spy, complete word searches etc.
• Make sure your child is ready to learn and not tired when they comes to school and that they have eaten breakfast.
• Be interested in what your child has been doing at school, encourage them to be inquisitive and follow their ideas through to a natural conclusion.
In the autumn term our Topic is ‘Once Upon a Time’. We will be learning all about traditional castles and knights and we will visit Warwick Castle. You might like to research castles with your child. For example, you could visit the library or research on the internet about where local castles are located, or even learn about where they are on a map. We would welcome any research notes, posters or pictures that your child has worked on with you!
In the spring term, our topic is ‘The Jungle Book’ where we will be learning all about the jungle and the rainforest. We will develop our geographical skills when we learn about countries and continents, including what the weather and climate is like there. You might like to research animals that live in the jungle.
In the summer term, our topic is ‘All at Sea’. We will be learning all about the coast, holidays in the past and about the history of the RNLI. You might like to find out about coastal places in the UK or about the famous people linked to the RNLI such as Grace Darling.
If you have any questions, concerns or worries please speak to a member of the Year 2 team, using the contact us link on this website or through Class Dojo, where we will be happy to help.