Welcome to Year 5
In Year five you will find:
Themes & Topics
This term we will be learning about the vicious Vikings! We will be finding out where they came from, why they came to Britain, and the impact they had upon our civilization. We will be reading fantastic myths and legends from Viking times and even building our very own longships! To launch this topic in a suitably Nordic way, Erik the Viking will be invading the year 5 classrooms for an entire day of looting, pillaging and storytelling. As we continue through the term, the children will prepare for a full-scale invasion complete with fearsome Viking helmets and glory to be won!
After Christmas, will be blasting off into the atmosphere to begin our space topic. We will be trekking to the National Space Centre in Leicester (the Houston of the Midlands!) and using an engaging range of ICT packages to create our own multimedia project.
We will be conducting a wide range of scientific experiment and investigations to help us better understand the universe!
As the weather warms (and we can go outside again), we will turn our curiosity towards the great outdoors. Our topic will be survival, and will require the children to imagine that they are faced with a range of difficult survival challenges and dilemmas!
They will follow in the footsteps (not literally) of famous, intrepid explorers such as Robert Scott, Ray Mears, and Bear Grylls! This module will incorporate plenty of fresh air and mud, and should create an enthusiasm and respect for the outdoors – just in time for summer!
Supporting Your Child
- Try to listen to your child read at least 3 times a week. http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/parents/primary_support/
- Help your child to practise their times tables up to 12 x 12. A pack of playing cards is great for this.
- Please ensure that your child is up to date with their homework and they bring it in when it is due.
- Make sure your child has a PE kit in school at all times.
- Research their current topic with them at home. Discuss it over dinner!